Summer is the perfect season to chef up light and easy meals. While chicken may be one of your original favorites, fish is actually a great source of protein for the summer.
According to Washington State Department of Health, fish is low in fat, high in protein and packed with omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D and vitamin B2. The proteins, vitamins and nutrients in fish help keep our brains and hearts healthy. Since our bodies do not generate Omega-3 fatty acids, we obtain them from essential food, and fish is one of them. Although the fatty acids are in all fish, there are higher amounts in fatty fish such as salmon, trout and sardines, which make these better choices.
However, you must be mindful of certain fish you eat. Some fish, including mahi mahi, halibut, tuna and lobster should not be consumed too often because of the amount of mercury it contains. You will reap all of the benefits by incorporating fish into your diet to help your entire body function at its best.
Cooking simple dishes with fish may seem difficult. Not true! There are many different ways you can cook a healthy meal with fish in 30 minutes or less. Salmon Tacos with Homemade Guacamole is the perfect example of a light and easy meal that would make a healthy summer lunch. Here is the recipe below.
Salmon Tacos w/ Homemade Guacamole
Prep Time: 10mins
Cook Time: 10-15mins
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsps salt
4 Fresh diced garlic cloves
1 Pinch cayenne pepper
3 Small pieces of salmon
3 Wheat tortillas
1 1/2 Cups diced tomatoes
1 Cup shredded lettuce
1/2 Cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 Cup fresh cilantro
2 Tbsps olive oil
2 Ripe avocados
1 Small diced red onion
1. Mix the low-fat sour cream and fresh cilantro in a bowl, then refrigerate.
2. Cut the ripe avocados in half (you have to cut around the pit). Then scoop the avocados out of the skin and into a bowl.
3. Mash the avocados until it is a smooth consistency (should not contain any large pieces). Afterwards, add the diced red onion, ½ cup diced tomato and 2 diced garlic cloves into the mashed avocados. Mix in well.
4. Squeeze the juice of the small lime into the guacamole. Add in ½ tsp black pepper and 1 tsp salt, mix in well. Refrigerate guacamole.
5. Mix ½ tsp black pepper, 1 tsp salt, 2 diced garlic cloves and a pinch of cayenne pepper with the three pieces of salmon for seasoning.
6. Heat a skillet with the 1 Tbsp of olive oil, until hot, on medium heat, and place the salmon in heated olive oil to cook. Each side should cook for 5 minutes, or until lightly brown.
7. Heat another skillet with 1 Tbsp of olive oil on low-medium heat. Cook the wheat tortillas for 2 minutes on each side.
8. Place one fish piece in each tortilla and top with tomatoes, lettuce, homemade guacamole and the sour cream mix.
9. Enjoy your hearty fish tacos with side salad and water!